Fisherman’s Hospital

The Fishermen’s Hospital stands on the east side of the Market Place. It was founded by the Corporation in 1702 for 20 old and “decayed” fishermen and their wives. It is a red brick building of one storey with dormers in the roof, built around an open courtyard paved with flint cobble stones. In the middle of the yard stands the statue of Charity. The almshouses are approached by a gateway on the west side between two Dutch gables with large oval inscription boards surmounted by rich ornamental woodcarving with a motif of lions and roses. Opposite the gateway there is a semi-circular arched passage-way surmounted by a wooden cupola (with an ogee shaped roof) within which is a figure of St. Peter, the patron saint of fishermen.

Get Directions
Heritage Map